Yohan Cabaye : "Play with our head and our heart"
The international midfielder of ASSE sees the team’s daily work as a reason to hope for the end of the season. And assures that the Verts are ready to fight this Sunday (9pm in Lyon).
Has the team completely digested the tie conceded to Reims (1-1) last Sunday on their home turf?
We left this match frustrated due to the goal let in during additional time. But we used this frustration to prepare for the derby. And we worked well.
As a leader, how do you mobilize your teammates, especially the youngest?
I’m already happy to play consecutive matches. I’m not afraid of being a leader on the field. I have the age and the experience to take on this role, especially with young people. I get along well with everyone even if I am quite reserved off the field. We have talented young players. I try to be an example by showing them that you have to be involved at the training sessions. When you’re involved at the training sessions, you have a better chance of being recompensed the day of the match. This is the message that I want to spread to the youths. I tell them to continue to work, to be patient and to remain positive.
Can the context of the derby further strengthen your motivation?
It’s obviously a special match for the club and the fans. We will have to play it with our head and our heart. We’ll have to approach it with much determination and not have any regrets at the blow of the final whistle. Even if Lyon obtained a good result against la Juve, we will be at the match and ready to fight in order to deliver a great performance.
How do you explain the team’s negative period?
We’re very far from what we were hoping for at the beginning of the season. We lack confidence in regards of recent results. We were not spared from injuries. None of the players have had the same level of physical performance at the same time. Three months of competition remain. We knew that we must do much better in order to have better results. Luckily, the state of mind is there. It’s by staying united that we’ll get out of this situation. Our objective is still to earn as many points as possible. A victory against Reims would have done us much good and would have given us some breathing room. But the scenario of this match pushes you to give more. Against Reims, I felt the team to be more solid and more intelligent in regards of managing their efforts. We had less difficulties than during previous matches. Despite the situation of the club, the team is solid. We’re all determined to change the results. By the way, we still worked very, very well this week at the training sessions. I am convinced that success will soon be ours.
- Saturday 14 Mar Official statement ASSE suspends its activities
- Sunday 08 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "We deserved much better"
- Saturday 07 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "In combat mode"
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC ASSE 2-1 Stade Rennais : the highlights
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel: "I congratulate them
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel : "Play at our best level"
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Mahdi Camara : "A match unlike any other"
- Monday 02 Mar #Derby OL 2-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 01 Mar #Derby Claude Puel : "Move forward"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Claude Puel : "Twice as much motivation"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Yohan Cabaye : "Play with our head and our heart"
- Tuesday 25 Feb #ASSESDR Win a shirt signed by William Saliba
- Monday 24 Feb #ASSESDR Behind the scenes
- Sunday 23 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "Looking forward"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "React all together"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Loïs Diony : "I am a warrior"
- Sunday 16 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "Be aware of the situation"
- Saturday 15 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "With the right mindset"
- Friday 14 Feb #SASASSE Claude Puel : "A true cup match"
- Wednesday 12 Feb #SASASSE William Saliba : "Seize our chance"
- Monday 10 Feb #MHSCASSE MHSC 1-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 09 Feb #MHSCASSE Claude Puel : "We need confidence"
- Friday 07 Feb #MHSCASSE Franck Honorat : "Quickly win again"
- Thursday 06 Feb #ASSEOM ASSE 0-2 OM : The highlights
- Wednesday 05 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We gave it our all"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We have to work our butts off"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Loïc Perrin : "Show that we're not where we should be"
- Sunday 02 Feb #FCMASSE Claude Puel : "A lesson of efficiency"
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE AS Monaco 0-1 ASSE : The highlights
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "The victory of a team"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "We want to continue the adventure in the cup"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Denis Bouanga : "We want to qualify"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASSENO ASSE 2-1 Nîmes : The highlights
- Saturday 25 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We had to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We'll have to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Wahbi Khazri : "Capable of doing great things"
- Sunday 19 Jan #PFCASSE Paris FC 2-3 ASSE : The highlights
- Saturday 18 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "We're building ourselves up in a difficult period"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "Desire to react"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Yohan Cabaye : "Confidence is super important"