Yohan Cabaye, a new International player at ASSE
The International French midfielder joined the Stéphanois club for one season.
This Tuesday, AS Saint-Étienne reached an agreement with Yohan Cabaye (33 years old), the International midfielder with 48 selections and 4 goals on the French national team. The former player for Lille, Paris, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Al-Nasr signed a one-season contract with the Stéphanois club.
An eleventh prestigious recruit
Trained by Lille OSC, where he played in all the youth categories, the native of Tourcoing distinguished himself very well with his vision of the game, his technical qualities and his scientific passes. In Lille, with Mathieu Debuchy, one of his closest friends, he’s part of the golden generation of the northern club that won the French Cup and the French Championship in 2011. The climax of seven seasons for the club that trained him and with which he played 253 matches and celebrated his first selections wearing the jersey of the French national team.
During the summer of 2011, Yohan Cabaye took things to the next level when he joined Newcastle. His complete profile as a midfielder was perfectly compatible to the very demanding Premier League. He played three years with the Magpies for what was the first of two adventures in England. In 2015, he once again crossed the Channel to play in the Crystal Palace. In the middle of his 202 Premier League matches, a one-and-a-half-year period with PSG, the club with which he won two French Championships (2014, 2015), two Coupes de la Ligue (2014, 2015) and one Coupe de France (2015). In 2018, the triple French champion gave his career a new dimension when he joined Al-Nasr Dubai SC, in the United Arab Emirates.
An essential player for the Bleus
International player since U17 category, Yohan Cabaye brandished the U19 World Cup in 2005. Later selected for U20, he was even captain of the Espoirs. August 11, 2010, he honoured his first selection with the French national team during a match between France and Norway. By a quirk of fate, he replaced a certain Yann M’Vila during this match.
Immediately after, the player from the north became an unquestionable starting player with the Bleus. He participated in Euro 2012 and profited from this to score his first goal with the Bleus against Ukraine (2-0). Two years later, in Brazil, he reached the quarter-finals of the World Cup with the French team, dominated by Germany (0-1). Retained for Euro 2016 played in France, he took part in the great journey of the Bleus, solely beaten by Portugal in the final (0-1), after having particularly contributed to the resounding success against Germany (2-0) in the semi-finals.
Triple champion of France, Yohan Cabaye brings his international experience to ASSE where he will wear the number 29.
> Yohan Cabaye: "It’s with great joy and great pride that I sign with AS Saint-Étienne. I want to recover all my instincts as quickly as possible. Like the club, I have the ambition of realizing a great season. With Mathieu Debuchy, I reunited with a friend here. His presence factored into my choice"
> Roland Romeyer (President of AS Saint-Etienne): “We are proud to return to Ligue 1 an International French player. Yohan Cabaye knows the demands of the highest level. He was a French champion with Lille and PSG. He also played in the Champions League. His great experience is a great added asset to the club. Yohan is a player with whom we were already in contact during the last winter transfer window. All the conditions could not be met in order to reach an agreement. But Yohan and the club retained the same desire to undertake an adventure together."
- Saturday 14 Mar Official statement ASSE suspends its activities
- Sunday 08 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "We deserved much better"
- Saturday 07 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "In combat mode"
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC ASSE 2-1 Stade Rennais : the highlights
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel: "I congratulate them
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel : "Play at our best level"
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Mahdi Camara : "A match unlike any other"
- Monday 02 Mar #Derby OL 2-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 01 Mar #Derby Claude Puel : "Move forward"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Claude Puel : "Twice as much motivation"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Yohan Cabaye : "Play with our head and our heart"
- Tuesday 25 Feb #ASSESDR Win a shirt signed by William Saliba
- Monday 24 Feb #ASSESDR Behind the scenes
- Sunday 23 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "Looking forward"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "React all together"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Loïs Diony : "I am a warrior"
- Sunday 16 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "Be aware of the situation"
- Saturday 15 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "With the right mindset"
- Friday 14 Feb #SASASSE Claude Puel : "A true cup match"
- Wednesday 12 Feb #SASASSE William Saliba : "Seize our chance"
- Monday 10 Feb #MHSCASSE MHSC 1-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 09 Feb #MHSCASSE Claude Puel : "We need confidence"
- Friday 07 Feb #MHSCASSE Franck Honorat : "Quickly win again"
- Thursday 06 Feb #ASSEOM ASSE 0-2 OM : The highlights
- Wednesday 05 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We gave it our all"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We have to work our butts off"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Loïc Perrin : "Show that we're not where we should be"
- Sunday 02 Feb #FCMASSE Claude Puel : "A lesson of efficiency"
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE AS Monaco 0-1 ASSE : The highlights
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "The victory of a team"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "We want to continue the adventure in the cup"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Denis Bouanga : "We want to qualify"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASSENO ASSE 2-1 Nîmes : The highlights
- Saturday 25 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We had to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We'll have to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Wahbi Khazri : "Capable of doing great things"
- Sunday 19 Jan #PFCASSE Paris FC 2-3 ASSE : The highlights
- Saturday 18 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "We're building ourselves up in a difficult period"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "Desire to react"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Yohan Cabaye : "Confidence is super important"
ASSE suspends its activitiesSat 14 Mar à 13h53
Claude Puel appointed General Manager and CoachFri 04 Oct à 16h28
Ghislain Printant suspended from dutyFri 04 Oct à 16h01
Timothée Kolodziejczak is coming backThu 22 Aug à 12h55
Luis Sanchez joins ASSEThu 22 Aug à 11h20
Ryad Boudebouz is one of the Verts!Sat 27 Jul à 13h45
Cabella is leaving ASSE for KrasnodarFri 26 Jul à 17h33
William Saliba signs with Arsenal but remains one of the Verts!Thu 25 Jul à 18h00
Denis Bouanga with ASSE until 2023 !Tue 09 Jul à 13h04
The schedule of the Friendly MatchesSat 15 Jun à 16h11
France de Ligue 1
de la Ligue
France de Ligue 2