Wahbi Khazri is Stéphanois !
This Tuesday, the International Tunisian is officially becoming an ASSE player for four seasons.
After having signed Mathieu Debuchy and Kévin Monnet-Paquet, AS Saint-Etienne has now signed a player that will provide the team with support that has an international dimension. Wahbi Khazri, who plays as an offensive midfielder or striker, has officially committed to the Verts until 2022. An agreement was concluded with the English Club of Sunderland for the transfer of the International Tunisian, leader of his selection during the World Cup in Russia.
Born in Ajaccio, Wahbi Khazri completed his training with SC Bastia and it was in Bastia where he began his professional career by playing his first professional game at the age of 18 in Ligue 2. It’s also with the Corsican club that he started making records.
A champion time and time again, at the National third level in 2011, then in Domino’s Ligue 2 the following season, the midfielder actively contributed to the return of Sporting Club Bastiais to its place among France’s most elite teams (33 matches, 9 goals).
In Ligue 1, his influence on the Corsican club’s style of Football made him a sought-after player. In 2014, he joined FC Girondins de Bordeaux who were focused on the European Championship. He scored 14 goals in 52 L1 matches before being recruited by Sunderland in January 2016. In one and a half Premier League seasons, he played 35 matches then was loaned to Stade Rennais. Once again proving himself to be a decisive player, he scored 9 goals and propelled the Bretons to the UEFA Europa League.
After becoming one of the Espoirs, Wahbi Khazri chose to play for the Tunisian A team in 2012. With the Tunisian national football team, he participated in two African Cup of Nations championships in 2013 and 2015, and a series of brilliant qualifications for the World Cup in Russia. Undefeated in their group, Wahbi Khazri and his teammates qualified for the fifth World Cup in Tunisia’s Football career, marking the first time Tunisia played for the World Cup since 2002. In Russia, the 27 year-old offensive midfielder played in all three group matches, wore twice the captain’s armband and scored just as many goals. The first against Belgium, third of the competition, and the second provided Tunisia with its only victory before leaving the competition. He has been selected by his country 40 times and has provided his country 14 goals.
Stéphanois for the next four seasons, Wahbi Khazri will bring his top-level experience and his great technical qualities to the Verts. He will wear the number 10.
> Frédéric Paquet (CEO): “After having acquired the signatures of Mathieu Debuchy and Kévin Monnet Paquet, the recruitment of Wahbi Khazri proves the determination of AS Saint-Etienne and that of its shareholders to construct a team of the same calibre as the one that brilliantly finished last season. At 27 years of age, Wahbi has reached maturity. He not only led his selection to the final phase of the World Coup but also succeeded in demonstrating his great talent in a high-profile group where Tunisia faced two of the semi-finalists. He’s the technical leader and the player with good character that the team needs in order to keep the sportive dynamic that it had during the second half of last season. The international transfer window is a complex period but we have to remain consistent and patient in our efforts, just as we did in order to make the arrival of Wahbi Khazri a reality.”
- Saturday 14 Mar Official statement ASSE suspends its activities
- Sunday 08 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "We deserved much better"
- Saturday 07 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "In combat mode"
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC ASSE 2-1 Stade Rennais : the highlights
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel: "I congratulate them
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel : "Play at our best level"
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Mahdi Camara : "A match unlike any other"
- Monday 02 Mar #Derby OL 2-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 01 Mar #Derby Claude Puel : "Move forward"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Claude Puel : "Twice as much motivation"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Yohan Cabaye : "Play with our head and our heart"
- Tuesday 25 Feb #ASSESDR Win a shirt signed by William Saliba
- Monday 24 Feb #ASSESDR Behind the scenes
- Sunday 23 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "Looking forward"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "React all together"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Loïs Diony : "I am a warrior"
- Sunday 16 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "Be aware of the situation"
- Saturday 15 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "With the right mindset"
- Friday 14 Feb #SASASSE Claude Puel : "A true cup match"
- Wednesday 12 Feb #SASASSE William Saliba : "Seize our chance"
- Monday 10 Feb #MHSCASSE MHSC 1-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 09 Feb #MHSCASSE Claude Puel : "We need confidence"
- Friday 07 Feb #MHSCASSE Franck Honorat : "Quickly win again"
- Thursday 06 Feb #ASSEOM ASSE 0-2 OM : The highlights
- Wednesday 05 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We gave it our all"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We have to work our butts off"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Loïc Perrin : "Show that we're not where we should be"
- Sunday 02 Feb #FCMASSE Claude Puel : "A lesson of efficiency"
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE AS Monaco 0-1 ASSE : The highlights
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "The victory of a team"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "We want to continue the adventure in the cup"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Denis Bouanga : "We want to qualify"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASSENO ASSE 2-1 Nîmes : The highlights
- Saturday 25 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We had to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We'll have to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Wahbi Khazri : "Capable of doing great things"
- Sunday 19 Jan #PFCASSE Paris FC 2-3 ASSE : The highlights
- Saturday 18 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "We're building ourselves up in a difficult period"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "Desire to react"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Yohan Cabaye : "Confidence is super important"