Claude Puel : "We're building ourselves up in a difficult period"
The General Manager of ASSE showed himself to be particularly satisfied with the determination of his players who qualified, this Saturday evening, at the expense of Paris (3-2) after having fallen behind Paris twice in the number of goals scored.
What did you take away from this match?
I retain the qualification, because it was important, and the values that we showed in order to obtain it. We had fallen behind twice but we reacted. It wasn’t a flamboyant match, the situation was difficult… Luckily, we did not become divided. We came back in the match and we won it but we’re still recovering. We know that we’ll have to fight.
Did the course of the match worry you?
At the moment, it’s not reassuring obviously, but it is all the more interesting to see the team not crack. We didn’t give up, we maintained our concentration. If we had not been driven by this state of mind, we would have never won it. We’re building ourselves up in a difficult period, right now we must be able to play multiple matches in a row. I want us to be a team ready to fight and to be mentally present no matter the adversary or the scenario.
How do you explain certain technically errors?
Certainly, there was some wasted energy in our game, but I prefer that we miss passes or that we lose balls because we want to move forward across the field. Making less errors does not interest me if we are not giving a high-quality performance. We must maintain this state of mind and our solidarity allowed us to turn the tide. All the players fulfilled their role. Mathieu (Debuchy) was decisive and exemplary as he is known to be. Wahbi (Khazri) gave his normal efforts. He made many runs for the team; Yohan Cabaye also did much for the team and Loïc was very much present. I really liked what the young players showed like Arnaud Nordin or Charles Abi.
Exactly, Charles Abi scored his first professional goal. Can this success be considered a defining moment?
This first goal will not be his last (he smiles). He made good calls and allowed us to keep balls on the opposition’s side of the field. He had some wasted energy in the front of the net, but he still played his game. For a striker, the most important thing is to always think of the next opportunity that will present itself. He, like all the other young players are passing milestones despite our current difficulties. It’s very educational.
- Saturday 14 Mar Official statement ASSE suspends its activities
- Sunday 08 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "We deserved much better"
- Saturday 07 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "In combat mode"
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC ASSE 2-1 Stade Rennais : the highlights
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel: "I congratulate them
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel : "Play at our best level"
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Mahdi Camara : "A match unlike any other"
- Monday 02 Mar #Derby OL 2-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 01 Mar #Derby Claude Puel : "Move forward"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Claude Puel : "Twice as much motivation"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Yohan Cabaye : "Play with our head and our heart"
- Tuesday 25 Feb #ASSESDR Win a shirt signed by William Saliba
- Monday 24 Feb #ASSESDR Behind the scenes
- Sunday 23 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "Looking forward"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "React all together"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Loïs Diony : "I am a warrior"
- Sunday 16 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "Be aware of the situation"
- Saturday 15 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "With the right mindset"
- Friday 14 Feb #SASASSE Claude Puel : "A true cup match"
- Wednesday 12 Feb #SASASSE William Saliba : "Seize our chance"
- Monday 10 Feb #MHSCASSE MHSC 1-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 09 Feb #MHSCASSE Claude Puel : "We need confidence"
- Friday 07 Feb #MHSCASSE Franck Honorat : "Quickly win again"
- Thursday 06 Feb #ASSEOM ASSE 0-2 OM : The highlights
- Wednesday 05 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We gave it our all"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We have to work our butts off"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Loïc Perrin : "Show that we're not where we should be"
- Sunday 02 Feb #FCMASSE Claude Puel : "A lesson of efficiency"
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE AS Monaco 0-1 ASSE : The highlights
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "The victory of a team"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "We want to continue the adventure in the cup"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Denis Bouanga : "We want to qualify"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASSENO ASSE 2-1 Nîmes : The highlights
- Saturday 25 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We had to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We'll have to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Wahbi Khazri : "Capable of doing great things"
- Sunday 19 Jan #PFCASSE Paris FC 2-3 ASSE : The highlights
- Saturday 18 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "We're building ourselves up in a difficult period"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "Desire to react"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Yohan Cabaye : "Confidence is super important"