Claude Puel : "Twice as much motivation"
The General Manager of ASSE reminds us of the importance of a Derby for the club and for his environment. He affirms that his teams will demonstrate who to concentrate on their game and “fight” in order to make things as difficult as possible for their adversary.
The first leg derby was your first match at the head of ASSE and you responded to this challenge perfectly. Will the same type of challenge present itself this weekend?
The conditions are not the same. It’s a different match we must understand. On the one hand, we will travel without our fans. On the other hand, Lyon changed their coach and just played a Ligue des Champions match against Juventus Turin (1-0).
Precisely, what did you learned from your opponent’s last match?
Lyon played a good match by relying on a large, defensive block. Their strategy obliged Juventus to attack but they did not manage to find a solution to win. Lyon will be able to deploy the same system during the second leg match by attempting to exploit the slightest counter attack.
Is a derby equivalent to a Champions League match?
It’s a separate game. You think that they’re going to relax against us after their victory against la Juve? Non! A derby is still a derby.
What are you strengths?
We know the importance of such a match for your fans but also for the players. Certain players were trained at the club and it’s certainly something special for them. We will have twice as much motivation. It will be a good match to play. On a personal level, I have to detach myself from the context in order to remain clear-headed and accompany my team so that it manoeuvres well. You have to make it so the details of a match turn in our favour unlike at our last match against Reims. Our last training sessions ran like clockwork. The players enjoyed it. It’s not by lowering your head that we’ll get by. They’re concentrated, receptive and ready. The derby is an important match that we must tackle with conviction and lucidity. Against Reims, we demonstrated a good mindset but we were not rewarded for this.
Do your players need to be reassured before such a match?
In our situation, the essential thing is to be armed mentally in order to fight, restart a new positive cycle and climb in the rankings. We cannot focus on the eventual consequences of a defeat or on the “what ifs”. We must on the contrary concentrate on our game. Of course, we’re conscious of the situation but a derby remains a separate match. The wait is exceptional and healthy. Every team forgets where they are in the rankings. We remained frustrated during our last match against Reims because we performed good plays. We’re going to continue this momentum to make problems for them and more than problems.
- Saturday 14 Mar Official statement ASSE suspends its activities
- Sunday 08 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "We deserved much better"
- Saturday 07 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "In combat mode"
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC ASSE 2-1 Stade Rennais : the highlights
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel: "I congratulate them
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel : "Play at our best level"
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Mahdi Camara : "A match unlike any other"
- Monday 02 Mar #Derby OL 2-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 01 Mar #Derby Claude Puel : "Move forward"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Claude Puel : "Twice as much motivation"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Yohan Cabaye : "Play with our head and our heart"
- Tuesday 25 Feb #ASSESDR Win a shirt signed by William Saliba
- Monday 24 Feb #ASSESDR Behind the scenes
- Sunday 23 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "Looking forward"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "React all together"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Loïs Diony : "I am a warrior"
- Sunday 16 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "Be aware of the situation"
- Saturday 15 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "With the right mindset"
- Friday 14 Feb #SASASSE Claude Puel : "A true cup match"
- Wednesday 12 Feb #SASASSE William Saliba : "Seize our chance"
- Monday 10 Feb #MHSCASSE MHSC 1-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 09 Feb #MHSCASSE Claude Puel : "We need confidence"
- Friday 07 Feb #MHSCASSE Franck Honorat : "Quickly win again"
- Thursday 06 Feb #ASSEOM ASSE 0-2 OM : The highlights
- Wednesday 05 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We gave it our all"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We have to work our butts off"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Loïc Perrin : "Show that we're not where we should be"
- Sunday 02 Feb #FCMASSE Claude Puel : "A lesson of efficiency"
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE AS Monaco 0-1 ASSE : The highlights
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "The victory of a team"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "We want to continue the adventure in the cup"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Denis Bouanga : "We want to qualify"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASSENO ASSE 2-1 Nîmes : The highlights
- Saturday 25 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We had to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We'll have to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Wahbi Khazri : "Capable of doing great things"
- Sunday 19 Jan #PFCASSE Paris FC 2-3 ASSE : The highlights
- Saturday 18 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "We're building ourselves up in a difficult period"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "Desire to react"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Yohan Cabaye : "Confidence is super important"