Claude Puel : "The victory of a team"
The General Manager of ASSE insists again on the state of mind of his team to explain their third victory in three matches.
How are you feeling after having obtained this qualification?
I am very happy for my team. Wahbi Khazri and Arnaud Nordin gave a lot during the last few matches. So we took the risk of playing players that are getting back on their feet following injuries and without game time. They kept pace and even finished the match. Thanks to all the courage we demonstrated we obtained the qualification. Denis Bouanga, Gabriel Silva, Romain Hamouma and William Saliba are coming back from a long period of inactivity. They gave it their all. We can regret certain poorly managed counter situations because we should have scored a second goal in order to be in a good place. In any case, it’s the victory of a team that showed itself to have much solidarity.
What was your game plan?
Start the game off well while putting pressure on our opponent’s side of the field. We thus recovered very good balls that we could not improve. We succeeded in opening the score, but we could have punished Monaco. Subsequently, we had difficulty recovering the ball. It wasn’t easy for Monaco, because we formed a very tight block. We conceded very few openings to score. We defended very well. We lacked the drive to have more control and longer playing times. Luckily, the team did not fall apart and fought a great fight.
Does such a victory make you optimistic for the rest of the season?
Honestly, you shouldn’t look farther than the next match. I’m practical. Every match is complicated. I really appreciate the abnegation and the solidarity of my players. Certain players haven’t played for two and a half months. It’s huge to play in a Cup match, while running as much to defend and to try to recover the ball. It was important to be able to give game time to everyone, especially in order to prepare well for the match in Metz this Sunday. We’re going to recuperate well and see who will be available to play this third match in a week.
What is your judgement of the performance of the Wesley Fofana-William Saliba pair?
I always assume responsibility for my team lineups, whatever the final result is and however we perform. These two kids have many qualities. They were solid and strong against strikers of the caliber of Ben Yedder. They showed their potential.
So your team qualified for the quarter-finals of the Coupe de France. Is this competition one of your objectives?
It all depends on the draw. Playing in the round of 16 in Monaco was already a difficult mission. If we fall in the quarterfinals against our Parisian friends, we’ll have to hope that they’ll be nicer than in the Coupe de la Ligue. For the moment, we have to get over things. We had one week with three matches. Two challenges were met, there remains one important one in Metz.
- Saturday 14 Mar Official statement ASSE suspends its activities
- Sunday 08 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "We deserved much better"
- Saturday 07 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "In combat mode"
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC ASSE 2-1 Stade Rennais : the highlights
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel: "I congratulate them
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel : "Play at our best level"
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Mahdi Camara : "A match unlike any other"
- Monday 02 Mar #Derby OL 2-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 01 Mar #Derby Claude Puel : "Move forward"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Claude Puel : "Twice as much motivation"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Yohan Cabaye : "Play with our head and our heart"
- Tuesday 25 Feb #ASSESDR Win a shirt signed by William Saliba
- Monday 24 Feb #ASSESDR Behind the scenes
- Sunday 23 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "Looking forward"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "React all together"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Loïs Diony : "I am a warrior"
- Sunday 16 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "Be aware of the situation"
- Saturday 15 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "With the right mindset"
- Friday 14 Feb #SASASSE Claude Puel : "A true cup match"
- Wednesday 12 Feb #SASASSE William Saliba : "Seize our chance"
- Monday 10 Feb #MHSCASSE MHSC 1-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 09 Feb #MHSCASSE Claude Puel : "We need confidence"
- Friday 07 Feb #MHSCASSE Franck Honorat : "Quickly win again"
- Thursday 06 Feb #ASSEOM ASSE 0-2 OM : The highlights
- Wednesday 05 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We gave it our all"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We have to work our butts off"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Loïc Perrin : "Show that we're not where we should be"
- Sunday 02 Feb #FCMASSE Claude Puel : "A lesson of efficiency"
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE AS Monaco 0-1 ASSE : The highlights
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "The victory of a team"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "We want to continue the adventure in the cup"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Denis Bouanga : "We want to qualify"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASSENO ASSE 2-1 Nîmes : The highlights
- Saturday 25 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We had to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We'll have to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Wahbi Khazri : "Capable of doing great things"
- Sunday 19 Jan #PFCASSE Paris FC 2-3 ASSE : The highlights
- Saturday 18 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "We're building ourselves up in a difficult period"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "Desire to react"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Yohan Cabaye : "Confidence is super important"