Claude Puel : "Move forward"
Disappointed by a too passive first half, the General Manager of ASSE appreciated the risk taken by his players after their rest. He wishes his players to be inspired by their second period in order to prepare themselves well for the semi-final of the Coupe de France against Rennes.
Did the missed opportunities in the second leave you with regrets?
The defeat is logical if we have a look to the teams but, on the field, we did have opportunities. We had the first opening, but we conceded the first goal due to a dead ball situation. We could have done better. In the second period, we showed that we could go seek a tie. We gave it our all but we were not recompensed because we did not manage to capitalize on our openings. I’m going to remain on our second period during which we were keen.
How do you explain your lack of drive in the first period?
We were inhibited. We were in the block formation and that was what we had to do against this team but we lacked control with the balls we recuperated. We lost the ball too quickly. We weren’t aggressive enough in the battles to get the ball. After the break, we relaxed, we put pressure high on the field and we showed that we could do much better.
Was it the tactical chance made at the break that let your team be more dangerous in the second period?
I wanted my team to present a different side of itself, be more dynamic, go look for their adversary higher up on the field, even if it means letting in a goal. Changing to the 4-4-2 formation allowed us to put more pressure on our adversary and the substitution of Charles (Abi) did us well. With more skill and success, we could have made a comeback.
How are you going to remobilize your team before the reception of Rennes next Thursday in the Geoffroy-Guichard stadium?
There’s always much disappointment after a defeat but we have no other solution than to move forward. We have to really prepare for our semi-final of the Coupe de France and use our last few matches to better begin our matches. Suffering like we did in the first half, that is not possible.
- Saturday 14 Mar Official statement ASSE suspends its activities
- Sunday 08 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "We deserved much better"
- Saturday 07 Mar #ASSEFCGB Claude Puel : "In combat mode"
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC ASSE 2-1 Stade Rennais : the highlights
- Friday 06 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel: "I congratulate them
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Claude Puel : "Play at our best level"
- Wednesday 04 Mar #ASSESRFC Mahdi Camara : "A match unlike any other"
- Monday 02 Mar #Derby OL 2-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 01 Mar #Derby Claude Puel : "Move forward"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Claude Puel : "Twice as much motivation"
- Friday 28 Feb #DERBY Yohan Cabaye : "Play with our head and our heart"
- Tuesday 25 Feb #ASSESDR Win a shirt signed by William Saliba
- Monday 24 Feb #ASSESDR Behind the scenes
- Sunday 23 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "Looking forward"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Claude Puel : "React all together"
- Friday 21 Feb #ASSESDR Loïs Diony : "I am a warrior"
- Sunday 16 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "Be aware of the situation"
- Saturday 15 Feb #SB29ASSE Claude Puel : "With the right mindset"
- Friday 14 Feb #SASASSE Claude Puel : "A true cup match"
- Wednesday 12 Feb #SASASSE William Saliba : "Seize our chance"
- Monday 10 Feb #MHSCASSE MHSC 1-0 ASSE : The highlights
- Sunday 09 Feb #MHSCASSE Claude Puel : "We need confidence"
- Friday 07 Feb #MHSCASSE Franck Honorat : "Quickly win again"
- Thursday 06 Feb #ASSEOM ASSE 0-2 OM : The highlights
- Wednesday 05 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We gave it our all"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Claude Puel : "We have to work our butts off"
- Tuesday 04 Feb #ASSEOM Loïc Perrin : "Show that we're not where we should be"
- Sunday 02 Feb #FCMASSE Claude Puel : "A lesson of efficiency"
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE AS Monaco 0-1 ASSE : The highlights
- Wednesday 29 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "The victory of a team"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Claude Puel : "We want to continue the adventure in the cup"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASMASSE Denis Bouanga : "We want to qualify"
- Monday 27 Jan #ASSENO ASSE 2-1 Nîmes : The highlights
- Saturday 25 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We had to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Claude Puel : "We'll have to fight"
- Thursday 23 Jan #ASSENO Wahbi Khazri : "Capable of doing great things"
- Sunday 19 Jan #PFCASSE Paris FC 2-3 ASSE : The highlights
- Saturday 18 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "We're building ourselves up in a difficult period"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Claude Puel : "Desire to react"
- Friday 17 Jan #PFCASSE Yohan Cabaye : "Confidence is super important"